Garmin hasn’t officially announced the update for the the the Garmin Fenix 5 range yet, but they have put the page live for on the Garmin website with full information of the entire range, including the price of the 5-Plus Saphire edition which is $849.99
As previously reported the new plus range is updated with colour TOPO maps featuring Trendline popularity routing, music with up to 500 songs on your watch, Garmin Pag and multi-satellite GPS using GPS, GLONASS and Galileo. A full list of updates includes:
- Added up to 16GB of full-colour maps to all three Plus watches – 5/5S/5X (only 5X has maps previously)
- Added Garmin Trendline popularity routing data to map sets
- Added ability to use known elevation data from onboard maps + known GPS coordinates to calibrate altimeter
- Added music capability to watch (both direct music files and iHeartRadio/Deezer offline sync)
- Slightly improved Bluetooth headphone connectivity reception over Garmin FR645 Music.
- Added contactless NFC payments to watch
- Added Galileo GPS support via new GPS chipset
- Change GPS algorithms in conjunction with new hardware for claimed better edge case handling
- Improved antenna/communications chipset performance, should resolve sensor dropouts issues for mostly 3rd party sensors
- Added ClimbPro, which splits up climbs on courses into individual chunks
- Added PulseOx to Fenix 5X Plus (only), which is pulse oximetry data using onboard red-LED sensor
- Added full golf course dataset to all units (40,000 courses cached on watch now)
- Added Privacy mode for smartphone notifications on watch so that message contents aren’t displayed automatically
- Increased battery performance to 32hrs in 1-second GPS mode and 85 hours in UltraTrack mode (for 5X Plus specifically)
- Increased price by $150 for base models
With 5X Plus you also get blood oxygen saturation levels to help monitor how you’re adjusting to higher altitudes.
The three models have different battery lives with the following:
- 5S Plus – up to 7 days in smartwatch mode and 4 hours in GPS mode with music
- 5 Plus – up to 10 days in smartwatch mode and 8 hours in GPS mode with music
- 5X Plus – up to 20 days in smartwatch mode and 13 hours in GPS mode with music
Pricing appears to be
- 5S Plus is $699
- 5S Plus Saphire is $799
- 5-Plus is $699
- 5-Plus Saphire is $8749
- 5X Plus Saphire is $1149
The official blurb from the fēnix® 5X Plus listing states:
Performance That Puts the X in Excellence
- Ultimate multisport GPS watch with wrist heart rate technology1 and color TOPO maps featuring Trendline™ popularity routing to help you find and follow the best paths
- Wrist-based Pulse Ox Acclimation sensor¹ provides awareness of your blood oxygen saturation levels — especially useful when you’re adjusting to higher altitudes
- Fit for adventure with rugged design that features scratch-resistant domed sapphire lens plus stainless steel or diamond-like carbon (DLC) titanium bezel, and rear case
- Easily store and play up to 500 songs on your watch, and connect with Bluetooth® headphones (sold separately) for phone-free listening
- Garmin Pay™ contactless payment solution² lets you make convenient payments with your watch, so you can leave your cash and cards at home
- Battery performance: up to 20 days in smartwatch mode and 13 hours in GPS mode with music (depending on settings)
For athletes and outdoor adventurers who want the ultimate in a multisport on-wrist trainer, the ultra-rugged fēnix 5X Plus is here. It’s our first fēnix series watch to offer a wrist-based Pulse Ox Acclimation sensor for blood oxygen saturation awareness at high altitudes. Other highlights include routable color TOPO maps, wrist heart rate, a music player that lets you store and enjoy up to 500 songs — plus Garmin Pay, our contactless payment solution.
Your Roadmap to Success
Whether you’re in the city or on the trail, your fēnix sport watch’s mapping and navigation features help keep you oriented and on course. Full-color TOPO mapping comes preloaded, with map data optimized for at-a-glance navigation and location tracking. The maps feature Trendline popularity routing, which uses billions of miles of Garmin Connect™ data to help you find and follow the best trails and routes. Especially helpful when you’re away from your home turf, this feature lets you quickly see the most-used, locally validated pathways.
Do Better Going Higher
When the terrain gets steeper and you have some serious climbing ahead, your fēnix 5X Plus has special ascent features that can really help. The ClimbPro page provides real-time information on current and upcoming climbs. See the climb gradient, distance and elevation gain for each ascent segment as well as a progress marker that shows how much farther you have to go. On strenuous climbs, the watch’s Pulse Ox Acclimation sensor provides additional information. This sensor uses light beams to gauge the absorption of hemoglobin in your bloodstream, so you can assess how well your body’s oxygen levels are adjusting to the thinner air at higher altitudes.
Every fēnix 5 Plus Series watch features multinetwork (GPS, GLONASS and Galileo) satellite reception to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone. In addition to map-based guidance, each watch also provides a set of ABC (altimeter, barometer and compass) sensor capabilities for outdoor navigation. The built-in altimeter provides elevation data to accurately monitor ascent and descent for activities such as hiking, while the tilt-compensated three-axis electronic compass keeps your bearing — whether you’re moving or not.
Advanced Performance Metrics
All fēnix 5 Plus Series watches are packed with sophisticated training features to help monitor your form and performance. Tap into physiological metrics, running dynamics and more to track your workout stats, measure your progress and fine-tune your form. Training status automatically evaluates your recent exercise history and performance indicators to let you know if you’re overtraining, maintaining or peaking. An anaerobic training effect metric helps you see how your training is improving your ability to push the limits. You can also view your overall training load, which measures your exercise volume from the last 7 days and compares it to the optimal range for your fitness and recent training history. Special preloaded activity profiles are provided for swimming, running, biking, hiking, skiing, rowing, paddle boarding and more. For added motivation, download advanced workouts and training plans from Garmin Connect.
Wrist-based Heart Rate
On another upbeat note, Elevate™ wrist heart rate technology lets you monitor your heart rate without wearing a chest strap. In addition to counting steps and monitoring sleep, the watch uses heart rate to provide calories burned information and quantify the intensity of your fitness activities. It also measures your heart rate variability to calculate a stress score that helps you assess what level of activity your body is ready for.
A Little Traveling Music
Got a power song that gets you pumped up for a race or tough workout? Now with fēnix 5X Plus, you can enjoy phone-free listening on the go, with up to 500 songs stored right on your watch. It’s easy to download music and queue up your favorites so you can enjoy them anywhere, anytime through wirelessly connected Bluetooth headphones (sold separately). You can even sync your carefully crafted playlists from select music streaming services³ to your watch for more ad-free listening. So leave your phone behind when you head out for a run or a ride, because the music that keeps you moving is right there on your wrist.
Pay with a Wave of Your Hand
To help keep pace with your active lifestyle, fēnix 5X Plus features our Garmin Pay contactless payment solution. Use it to pay for purchases so you can breeze through checkout lines while leaving your cash and cards at home. It works just about anywhere there’s a scanner for contactless payments.
Stay Smartly Connected
All fēnix 5 Plus Series models support smart notifications when paired with a compatible device. Receive emails, texts and alerts right on your watch — whether you’re on the trail, on the golf course or simply away from your desk. Other connected features include automatic uploads to our Garmin Connect online fitness community, live tracking, GroupTrack and social media sharing.
Premium Materials, Robust Performance
Crafted of premium-grade materials, the fēnix 5 Plus Series is available in a variety of finish choices, including PVD-coated stainless steel bezel with treated silicone watch band, or — for those who want the comfort of a lighter weight metal that’s 30% stronger than steel, and — there’s a deluxe titanium bezel version with brushed titanium bracelet. On either version, a bright, high-resolution, full-color Garmin Chroma Display™ with LED backlighting assures great readability in all ambient conditions. And transflective technology that reflects and transmits light at the same time enables the watch face to become even more readable under intense sunlight. For added scratch resistance, all fēnix 5X Plus series models incorporate a high-strength domed sapphire lens.
Custom Apps, Watch Faces and Bands
You can customize any fēnix 5 Plus Series watch with free downloads from our Connect IQ™ store. Change your watch face, add data fields or get apps and widgets for information at a glance. There’s also a wide selection of QuickFit® bands in your choice of premium leather, metal or silicone — so it’s easy to mix and match styles to go with any sport or activity. No tools are required to make the transformation. Just swap, click and go. With Garmin, you can add personality to your watch that’s uniquely you.
Add power data to your training by downloading our Running Power app from the Connect IQ store onto your compatible watch. Developed by Garmin Labs, the Running Power app taps into metrics — such as pace, vertical oscillation, grade and even local wind conditions — to determine the amount of power you’re applying at the ground as you run. When you know how much power you’re expending from minute to minute and mile to mile, you’re better able to pace yourself, which can help keep you from tiring out too quickly. The best news? If you already own the right Garmin devices, adding power to your run is free. All you need is a fēnix 5 and one of these accessories: HRM-Run™, HRM-Tri™ or the Running Dynamics Pod.