Five years ago I reviewed the Volt Connect, at the time I had mixed impressions it was big and quite heavy. While I could see its potential for commuting I think I struggled to separate my fitness focussed lifestyle with the practicality of an electric bile.
More recently I have reviewed the foldable ADO A20 and I am in the middle of reviewing the ADO D30C and I have become a bit of an e-Bike convert.
Even more recently, the current situation with rising fuel costs is making driving become increasingly unaffordable for many people. If this crisis becomes a long term problem I think we could seen droves of people looking to adopt alternative forms of transport and an e-Bike is the most logical solution for anyone doing a commute of several miles.
Electric bike vs Electric Scooter
In my opinion, electric bikes are a far superior solution to electric scooters that have become increasingly common in recent years.
The primary reason for this is that they are road legal. That’s the only argument that needs to be said. However, the range is better and you can potentially go faster with the aid of peddling. You will also get a moderate amount of exercise in.
Scooters are still appealing though, they are considerably cheap, smaller and lighter. You can easily carry them onto public transport for last-mile commuting but there are obvious risks with the police. Where I live there have been confiscations so the police are not completely ignoring the problem. I suspect if you are sensible you won’t have too much of an issue.
Best Foldable Electric Bikes on Amazon
I will probably write a few guides on electric bikes, but for now, I will stick to the options on Amazon and for this post I am just doing foldable bikes.
Foldable bikes are ideal for shorter commutes or if you need to go onto public transport or if you have limited storage space at home. They can also easily fit into the boot of a car, but it is worth noting that they are quite heavy.
If you search on Google for best electric bikes you will get recommendations for brands like Specialized, Brompton and Vanmoof. All of these will be amazing bikes and probably the best for a long term investment, but they are all around £2k or higher. I would assume the average driver wanting to cut on petrol expenses doesn’t really want to spend that kind of money.
Buying from Amazon gives you some reassurance of product support, some bikes are available via Amazon Prime and all Marketplace sellers have to comply with Amazon’s rules, which includes a 30-day return window.
I also earn affiliate commission from Amazon sales.
- 🚴Ultra Lightweight Materia- The electric...
- 🚴250W Gear Motor- 250 Watt brushless geared...
- 🚴Battery- 36V/10.4AH Removable Lithium...
- 🚴7-Speed Gears: shift between seven gears to...
- Market place seller
- 5 reviews – 4.6 out of 5
- 21km-25km range
- Weight is 24kg
I reviewed the standard ADO A20 and I can personally vouch for it. The A20+ has some useful additions including a new G-Drive controller
This has a travel range 18-23 miles in pure electric mode and 45-48 miles in pedal mode.
It is quite weighty at 24kg and there is no pannier rack, but you can buy one.
- ► Powerful Motor, Super Long Range - 250W 36V...
- ► Premium Quality & Easy Folding Design - (...
- ► 2 Working Modes and Heights Adjustable - You...
- ► Safe Driving Protection-Front and rear dual...
- Amazon Prime
- 182 reviews – 4.2 out of 5
- 45km range in moped mode
- Weight is 22.5kg
This can be used with assisted riding or fully electric. With full electric, you get about 45km range. This comes with a pannier rack. 22.5kg is quite heavy but many e-bikes weigh above 20kg.
- 20 inch light weight alloy frame electric bike
- 36v 7.65ah battery for over 35 miles of assisted...
- alloy disc brakes for stopping in the wet
- folding frame for easy storage
- Amazon Prime
- 108 reviews – 4 out of 5
- 30 mile range
- Weight is unlisted
A well reviewed foldable electric bike with a range of 30 miles on one full charge. It has a 6 speed Shimano gearset, disk brakes and there are three levels of assist
This lacks a front display just a push-button controller. One big advantage is the including pannier rack which also carries the battery, so you should be able to carry plenty of things with you.
- Electric bike – The C4 electric bike makes...
- Pedal assist – Automatically assists the user...
- LED display – The LED screen shows your speed,...
- Compact – Simple and easy to fold so you can...
- Market place seller and charges £5.99 delivery
- 181 reviews – 4 out of 5
- Range no listed
- Weight is 16kg
This appears to be single gear but has 3 levels of assist. Max speed of 15.5 mph which is the limit for these bikes.
It doesn’t have a pannier rack but you can buy them.
It doesn’t state the range but it has a 36V 5.2Ah lithium-ion battery with a 250W motor
- 15 MPH & 15MILE RANGE: This electric bike with...
- CRUISECONTROL : Twist the throttle for 8...
- DISC BRAKE SYSTEM: Equipped with rear disc brake,...
- FASHION DESIGN& GOOD QUALITY: This ebike inspired...
- Marketplace seller
- 60 reviews – 4.5 out of 5
- 15 mile range
- Weight is 15kg
This is an affordable foldable bike that looks very small. It has good reviews but quite a few 1-star reviews. Range is limited to 15 miles and speed is 15mph but they also state the speed is top speed of 20-25km/h
Its tiny size makes it quite light for an eBike and this could be a good option for anyone that does short commutes and/or needs to take the bike onto public transport.
- 【Lightweight Electric Bicycle】Equipped with a...
- 【Three Modes and Dual Disc Braking】There are 3...
- 【Unique Cruise Control】Keep the handle steady...
- 【Portable Folding Bike】Our B20 electric bike...
- Market place seller but free delivery
- 56 reviews – 3.8 out of 5
- 21km-25km range
- Weight is 17.5kg
Another Windgoo option. This also has quite a short-range but the speed is the legal limit of 25kph/15.5mph. You have air filled tyred with front & rear disk brakes.
- 48V 250W POWERFUL MOTOR - A powerful adjustable...
- 3 Working Model and Height Adjustable Design–...
- Charge Wherever You Want : A removable 10.4Ah /...
- FOLDING AND STORAGE - The sturdy folding stem can...
- Market place seller with £70 delivery
- 15 reviews – 4.4 out of 5
- 21km-25km range
- Weight is 25kg
This has a 48V 250W motor with a max speed of 25kph/15.5mph and this has a throttle for full-electric mode. It doesn’t state the assist gears but I assume 3 like normal, you then also have a 7 speed Shimano gearset. This also includes a pannier rack and LCD display for the oedometer and assist data.
The 25kg weight is hefty and the £70 delivery is disappointing.
Last update on 2022-05-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API