The Huawei Mate 30 Pro launched shortly after IFA 2019 back in September, but due to the prolonged disagreements between China and the US, Huawei still can’t ship their new phones with Google Apps.
By all accounts, the phone has been extraordinarily successful in China and Huawei seem to be weathering the storm quite well, considering.
The Mate 30 Pro has had limited launches outside of China but the UK with some European countries apparently indifferent to Google Services.
Huawei now feels like it is time to let us Brits get our hands on the latest flagship, and yes, it is without and Google related software.
While the Google Play Store will not be on the phone, it is still possible to get many of the apps you love. If you are an existing Huawei user you can use the Huawei phone clone app to easily be able to transfer the majority of your apps (incl. Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram) onto your device,
The Huawei AppGallery, plus other 3rd party app stores such as Amazon, F-Droid and APKMirror also host most of the other apps you want.
With the P40 series launching in the next month or so, this could be Huawei testing to see how well their phones will do in the UK without Google.
The Huawei Mate 30 Pro will launch exclusively on with Carphone Warehouse on the 20th of February with pre-registration available from today, the phone has an RRP of £899 and Huawei are sweetening the deal with a bundled Huawei Watch GT 2 (46mm Black Sport Edition) and a pair of Huawei Freebuds 3 (White) while stocks last.
The press release makes no mention of the 5G version, so this will be using the slightly slower 4G Kirin 990. This will then be combined with 8 GB RAM + 256 GB storage.
This is one of the most unique looking phones on the market with its Horizon Display, which curves at an angle of 88 degrees to maximise the display area to provide an unparalleled, edge-to-edge immersive viewing experience. You have to see it in real life to see how beautiful it looks (though I am still on the fence about usability).
You then get one of the best camera arrangements on the market, taking the low-light technology introduced on the P30 Pro and expanding it further.
The SuperSensing Cine Camera is a Dual-main camera system capable of taking stunning photos that rival high-end cameras. The Cine Camera features a large 1/1.54-inch sensor size with a high maximum Video ISO of 51200 to capture videos with an extended dynamic range at 4K/60fps as well as ultra slow-motion at the highest 7680 fps. It also supports 4K Low-light Ultra-wide time-lapse video. The HUAWEI Mate 30 Pro also offers pro-bokeh capabilities while recoding for professional-looking results. Additionally, the second of the dual-camera system is a 1/1.7-inch HUAWEI SuperSensing Camera which attracts 40% more lights to deliver stunning results in low light conditions with an impressive light sensitivity of ISO409600, making it the best low light one-shot device ever even for ultra-wide shots.
The 8MP HUAWEI Telephoto Camera offers 3x optical zoom, 5x Hybrid Zoom and up to 30x Digital Zoom. Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) + AI Stabilisation (AIS) and 3D Depth Sensing, complete the package making the HUAWEI Mate 30 Pro the most capable handset for smartphone photography and videography available to consumers. A front-facing 3D Depth Sensing Camera delivers pro-bokeh effects with accurate depth-of-field information for selfies and portraits.
The HUAWEI Mate 30 Pro features a range of new features that deliver an amazingly smooth and engaging user experience:
- EMUI10 operating system featuring a contemporary magazine inspired layout,
- Always-On-Display (AOD) where the colour of the lock screen changes throughout the day;
- Dark Mode brings enhanced legibility making the screen look gentler and more comfortable when night falls;
- Intuitive Side-touch Interaction to customise invisible virtual keys for volume adjustment, gaming and camera set-up as well as being ideal for both right and left-handed users;
- AI gesture control for contactless screen interaction, whereas AI Auto-Rotate and AI Private View are all designed to improve users experience;
- HiCar smart travel for advanced, seamless connectivity between device and a car’s communication and entertainment system;
- Multi-screen Collaboration allows users to transfer data and control multiple screens between Huawei devices;
- HUAWEI 3D Face Unlock and In-screen Fingerprint to provide advanced data security and privacy protection with (HUAWEI Mate 30 Pro only);
- Memory: 8 GB RAM + 256 GB storage
- The HUAWEI Mate 30 Pro supports Huawei Mobile Services and Huawei AppGallery. The rapidly expanding marketplace for apps, Huawei AppGallery delivers a wide variety of apps users use on a daily basis, including a variety of services for gaming, productivity, and video content.