The Alienware m15 and m17 were first launched last year which slimmed down the Alienware gaming laptops thanks to the new Max-Q GPU design.
During CES the updated versions of these laptops have been announced which introduces the next generation of NVIDIA GeForce RTX Max-Q graphics cards with options from GeForce RTX 2060 all the way up to the RTX 2080. They will continue to sell the lower specced GTX 1050 Ti.
The m15 & m17 is constructed using a combination of premium materials including magnesium alloy and copper serving as light structural components and exceptional thermal management, respectively.
The battery life of the m17 is rated up to 17 hours with the optional 90Whr battery while on idle, though the spec sheet does not list what the m17 is rated for. It does use the same battery, so the larger screen will likely reduce this a little.
The laptops feature the AlienFX customizable lighting across 6 zones including keyboard, power button, and LCD cover Alien head.
Full support for the Alienware Graphics Amplifier enabling dedicated PCI-Express bandwidth for desktop graphics cards from NVIDIA or AMD.
They also feature mostly Alienware m-series keyboard featuring 1.4mm of travel, anti-ghosting technology, 4-zones of AlienFX RGB enabled keys and a numeric keypad.
Dell has expanded the number of options that will be available for the systems with the previous generation only having the i7-8750H. You can now go one step lower with the excellent i5-8300H or if you are rich enough go all out with the i9-8950K
There is no word on UK availability or pricing but the Alienware m15 will be available 29th of January, starting at $1,579.99 and the m17 will be available on the same day starting at $1,649.99
Alienware m15 tech specs
- 15.6″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS, Narrow-Border Display
- 15.6″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz Anti-Glare IPS, Narrow-Border Display
- 15.6″ UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS, Narrow-Border Display
- 15.6″ UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS, HDR-400, Narrow-Border Display
Additional Display Specifications
- Two-sided narrow border display
- FHD and UHD options deliver up to 300-nits of brightness
- FHD options deliver up to a 700:1 contrast ratio. UHD non-HDR options deliver up to a 1000:1 contrast ratio.
- 144Hz options deliver up to an 800:1 contrast ratio
- UHD HDR400 options deliver up to 500-nits of brightness and a 1200:1 contrast ratio
- Exterior Chassis Color
- Epic Silver
- Nebula Red (Available for configurations with the 144Hz display)
- System Dimensions
- Height (rear): 21 mm. (0.83 in.)
- Height (front): 17.9 mm. (0.705 in.)
- Depth: 275 mm. (10.8 in.)
- Width: 363 mm. (14.3 in.)
- Average weight: 2.16 Kgs. (4.78 Lbs.)*
- Mobile Intel® HM370 Chipset (all configurations)
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8300H (4-Core, 8MB Cache, up to 4.0GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-8750H (6-Core, 9MB Cache, up to 4.1GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
- 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i9-8950K (6-Core, 12MB Cache, up to 4.5Ghz w/Turbo Boost)
- NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 Ti with 4GB GDDR5
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 with 6GB GDDR6
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 Max-Q Design with 6GB GDDR6
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 Max-Q Design with 8GB GDDR6
- 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
- 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
- 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz
- 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
- 256GB PCIe M.2 SSD
- 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD
- 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
- 128GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
- 256GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
- 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
- 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
- 118GB Intel Optane SSD + 1TB (+8GB SSHD) Hybrid Drive
- 256GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 256GB PCIe M.2 SSD
- 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD + 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD
- 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD + 1TB PCIe M.2 SSD
The Alienware m17 is largely the same spec wise with the primary difference being the size of the screen and therefore the overall size and weight. The average weight is 2.63 Kgs. (5.79 Lbs.)
Display options include:
- 17.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display
- 17.3″ UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz Anti-Glare IPS Display
- 17.3″ QHD (2560 x 1440) 120Hz Anti-Glare TN Display