Today, MediaTek has announced two new 5G chipsets to its quickly expanding Dimensity range.
The two new chipsets are classed in the lower end of the premium line-up according to Mediatek, I’d describe them as upper mid-range.
Mediatek Dimensity 1300 vs 1050 vs 930 vs 920 Chipsets Compared
Both chipsets are a little different than expected. They both use the same fabrication process and CPU design we saw on the MediaTek Dimensity 920, but they have completely changed the GPU.
This then also leads to mismatched naming conventions.
The new Mediatek Dimensity 1050, you’d expect to sit in between the Dimensity 1000 and 1100 with a 4×4 CPU design. But, it has the same CPU as the Dimensity 930 and 920 due to the 2×6 CPU arrangement. However, it uses a more modern Arm-Mali G610 GPU compared to the Mali-G68 MC4 on the 920.
Then the Dimensity 930 has 2xA78 CPU cores and 6xA55 as expected; however, Mediatek has ditched the Arm Mali-based GPUs they have been using on most chipsets in favour of the Imagination BXM-2-256.
Looking at the Mediatek timeline graph, they are positioning the Dimensity 1050 below the 1000 & 1100 then the Dimensity 930 below the 920.
Not confusing at all. However, what is important is price vs performance and Mediatek have a good track record here.
Mediatek Dimensity 1050 Features
- Support for True Dual 5G SIM (5G SA + 5G SA) and Dual VoNR.
- Super-fast 144Hz Full HD+ displays with intense, vibrant colours through MediaTek’s MiraVision 760.
- Dual HDR video capture engine, enabling users to simultaneously stream with the front and rear cameras.
- Excellent noise reduction for superb low-light photos, and MediaTek’s APU 550 improves AI camera actions.
- Wi-Fi 6E support for superior power efficiency and 2×2 MIMO antenna brings faster, more reliable connections.
Mediatek Dimensity 930 Features
The Dimensity 930 enables 5G smartphones to download data faster and stay connected regardless of location with 2CC-CA, including mixed duplex FDD+TDD for higher speeds and greater reach. Designed to capture vibrant details, it is equipped with MiraVision HDR video playback and display for 120Hz Full HD+ displays and HDR10+ video. Additionally, HyperEngine 3.0 Lite gaming enhancements bring intelligent multi-network management to ensure lower latency for smooth user experiences and maximized battery life.