Onkyo have recently released some of their new AV Amps including the TX-SR506E and the TX-SR576E. Both these units include 7.1 Surround Sound,1080P video switching with 3 HDMI inputs, Dolby Digital Plus encoded audio and a long list of other features to keep any Home Cinema fan happy.
However they are also releasing the new TX-SR606 shortly with some online retailers already taking pre-orders. The 606 is a revamp of the award winning TX-SR605 but rather than just a little tweak here and there they seem to of made it the best AV amp ever when looking at the price and functionality.
The TX-SR606 specs include:
- 7.1 receiver
- 1.3a HDMI Switching (4 IN, 1 OUT)
- Up-conversion of all video inputs to HDMI
- Up-scaling of all video inputs to 1080i
- 3 component inputs, 1 component output
- Bi-Amping Capability for Enhanced Musicality and Power
- 140 watts at 6 ohms
- Powered Zone 2 audio output
- Audyssey 2EQ room calibration
- Auto Setup, via plug- in mic
- 5 digital inputs (3 optical, 2 coaxial)
- Music optimizer for compressed music
- DTS-HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby digital plus and Dolby TrueHD decoders
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Digital and DTS decoders
- Dolby Digital EX and complete DTS-ES
- 24-bit/192 kHz DACs for all channels
Onkyo have managed to pack in all the above functionality at a price of £399! Previously if you wanted upscaling on an Onkyo you had to go with their TX-SR875 model or higher with the 875 costing £999. Granted the 875 upscaled to 1080p however at a price difference of £600 I will live without it. Another big improvement over the 605 is that they have increased the HDMI inputs from 2 to 4 which should handle all your HDs sources and some.
If you need any other inputs/outputs the unit also has:
- 4 S-Video Inputs and 2 Outputs
- 5 A/V Inputs and 1 Output
- 2 Audio Inputs and 1 Output
Overall it seems almost too good to be true. From what I have read on Onkyo I have heard they run very hot and they are also very large (the 606 is WHD: 435 x 174.3 x 374.7 mm and 11.6 kg) but if you are looking for a midrange AV system I doubt this will be beaten easily.
Some pictures after the jump.
The front of the Onkyo TX-SR606E. Ok so it's not going to win an prizes on its looks. I believe the gold version is for the Asian market and won't be available in Europe. Thank God!!! I could be wrong though.
There are plenty of inputs to handle all your audio visual needs.
Last Updated on