Last updated on April 24th, 2019 at 03:35 am
With the advent of smartphone devices with the processing capabilities of high-end computers, video games have become more accessible. You don’t need a console to enjoy a good game. Your smartphone can handle it all. But are mobile games free to download? The easy answer is some are free, but others are not. Mobile and PC gaming apps can be categorized into two main groups: premium gaming apps and free apps.
Free Gaming Apps – Games That Are Free to Download
If you’re gaming on a budget, there’s a litany of free gaming to choose from. One of the most popular ones being Clash of Clans which boasts over 47 million downloads. You can simply download it from your devices’ respective app stores without paying a single dime.
Other great examples of popular free-to-play mobile games include PUBG mobile, Minecraft and Angry Birds.
While these games are free to download (and in most cases free to play), it does not mean they’re completely free from all forms of monetization. Developers have to eat, right? So how do most free-to-play games make their money?
1. The game mechanic revolve around money: Most restaurants don’t charge you an admission fee. You’re being sold a service and a product. The building is just a conduit for the goodies inside. It’s the same for some free to play games and services. A great example of this model is online casinos. Online or virtual casinos make money in the same way that land-based casinos do – from real money bets. They can be categorized into two groups:
- Web-based Online Casinos: Where players can access the virtual casino using a web browser.
- Download-based Online Casinos: The player downloads an application on a device. This application connects to the casino’s web service. The advantage of this is the user does not require a web browser and these apps tend to run faster.
Accessing the web-based new slot sites 2019 or downloading casino apps is 100% free. However, once you create an account for free and have fun playing various games such as slots, table games bingo and poker, you may want to try your luck at life-changing wins. If you wish to do this then you will need to deposit real-money.
- Advertisements: Most free to download apps contain ads. In some cases, players are required to open and view the ads to earn virtual currencies which they can then use to play the game for “free.” Alternatively, you will be given the chance to purchase an ad-free version of the gaming app.
3. Microtransactions: Basically, free-to-play games (and some bought games) have in-game micro-transactions where the developer sells you upgrades to enhance your gaming experience. For example, level 1 of the game is offered for free, but you have to buy the game to unlock and play the full version.
Premium Gaming Apps – Games that you must buy to download
In 2018, it was reported that the global games market would reach an estimated revenue of $137.8 billion. By 2021, it’s expected to reach over 180 billion. Surprisingly, mobile games account for over 50% of the global games market’s revenue.
A large bulk of this revenue is made from premium games such as Holedown. Holedown is one of the best premium games of 2018. It’s available for both Android and iOS devices. It will cost you $3.99 to download. Other popular premium games include Downwell, Machinarium and Samorost 3. You can get them from your device’s respective app store.
So, are gaming apps free to download? It depends on where you go and who you know, but mostly, the answer is yes, a lot of them are. We hope that you’ve found this article to be helpful. Thank you for reading.