uTorrent is free software that allows their users to download or share torrent files using the Peer to Peer (P2P) protocol, which is mostly used with large files.
In this guide, we are going to learn how to optimize the uTorrent settings so we can get the highest speed available when downloading.
First of all, we need to open the “Options” on the left top corner of our uTorrent, and then open “Preferences.”
Now we see a list with different settings we can edit, such as “Privacy, Bandwidth” and some others. So let's get to it, one and one and by the categories shown on the list:
– General: Untick the “Check Association on startup.” In theory choosing this option should not change anything but in reality this option it's going to help us not to find some known bugs and errors on the uTorrent software.
– Connection: On the “Listening Port – Port used for incoming connections” we have to replace the number shown by this number: 45682. We also need to tick the option “Add Windows Firewall Exception” to avoid, once again, possible bugs and problems in case it's unticked in your case.
– Bandwidth: On the bottom of this section, we can find “Global maximum number of connections” where we need to place 2000, just below “Maximum number of connected peers per torrent” place a 1500 and on “Number of upload slots per torrent” replace the current number by a 14.
– BitTorrent: On protocol encryption choose from the drop-down list the “Enabled” mode. Also, “allow incoming legacy connections” needs to be with the tick.
– Queueing: On “Maximum number of active torrents: upload or download” change the number to 60. Below, on the “Maximum number of active downloads” option place a 63.
– Advanced: Now we get to the complex values of the program so make sure you follow this step exactly as described or you might get serious issues trying to run your uTorrent program. Now we have to go to the “Filter” box and look for “dh”. We are now watching a “dht.rate” value that we must modify to from -1 in default to the new value, 2, with the “Set” feature.
After that look for “rss” using “Filter” box one more time, and edit the “rss.update_interval” from 15 to 20. Click on “Set” right after. Now we can click on the “Apply” box and “OK” to save and load the settings we just edited.
We are now finished with all the modifications! Simply close and start uTorrent again to get the changes working.
These changes should heavily improve the speed of your downloads, however in some cases you might perceive a very tiny change or even not any change at all, but we can guarantee you that at least in the 80% of the cases you will be improving your speed. Every person is on a different location which means that often one will get a great result with a specific port number while other will get a poor performance because it's very far away from the server, however, the port number we have given here should be working well on almost every part of the planet. This guide provides the uTorrent maximum speed settings for the average user.
uTorrent can be used in almost any computer and it works great on Windows. Click here for the uTorrent download for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10. And even if you use some unusual operating system such as some Linux distribution you can simple use the uTorrent web version which doesn't require installation on your computer. However, the computer installed version provides better stability and in some cases, better speeds.
uTorrent is an old program that has continued being using over the years due to his great performance and ease of us, and it's completely considered a safe program by now. Nonetheless, there are some Internet scams that might try to trick you into a modified uTorrent installer to place some viruses on your computer, so you need to make sure you are using their official page.
Regardless of uTorrent being a safe choice for big size downloads, be aware that there are some uTorrent downloads that contain dangerous malware that could damage your computer, so make sure you download from trusted sources!