Published on January 22nd, 2009 | by James Smythe0
Obama forced to use crappy Sectera Edge as official work phone
He maybe the most powerful man in the world but he doesn’t get everything his own way. Barack Obama is a massive fan of his Blackberry but now he is President he has to use a phone that has been NSA approved for any official business. Unfortunately for Obama the NSA are a little behind the times and he has been forced to use a Windows powered Sectera Edge. I can’t say I have heard of these devices before but they are not the general public kinda device.
There is no word on what the operating system is exactly but I can only assume it is not Windows Mobile 6.5. I hope they ironed all the bugs in the OS out for him or the device might crash mid peace talks / starting a new war.
Features and specifications listed by General Dynamics for the Sectera Edge include:
- Processor — not disclosed
- Memory — not disclosed, but has separate RAM and ROM for unclassified and classified modes
- Display — 2.8-inch QVGA touchscreen display
- Wireless interfaces:
- WAN — GSM (850/900/1800/1900)/EDGE, GSM (850/1900/2100) UMTS/HSDPA, or CDMA (800/1900) 1xRTT, CDMA (800/1900) EV-DO Rel. A
- WAN — 802.11b/g (optional)
- Other I/O:
- 1 x USB
- 1 x serial (operable in classified mode only)
- 2.5mm stereo headset jack
- Expansion — microSD slot
- Dimensions and weight — not disclosed
- Operating temperature -9 to 140 deg. F
Pricing for the Sectera Edge was not revealed, but the device is available now, according to General Dynamics.
Oh and it puts the iPhone design to shame!